Thursday, March 21, 2019
3800 Finnerty Road, Victoria, BC
MacLaurin Bldg, Rm D-288 (NEW ROOM) in D-Wing
TOPIC: "Hiding in Plain Sight: Hidden Plant Diversity in the Victoria Area "
The Victoria area is home to the highest diversity of vascular plants in BC, but this diversity isn’t always apparent in our natural areas. A lot of native plants are hiding in plain sight, while others are in decline or have already disappeared. What sorts of factors have resulted in such a high diversity of native plants, and what kinds of factors threaten this diversity? Are there species missing from our local parks and if so, how can we know which ones?
James Miskelly is a life-long naturalist who has worked in the ecology and conservation of Garry oak ecosystems for the last 20 years. He works mainly on rare plants, restoration, and grigs.
Cost: Members: FREE (Membership $25/yr)
Non-Members: drop-in by donation
Notes: $3.00 for parking at UVic
Along with a friend, you are welcome to bring
– Any and all questions about native plants or native plant gardening for our experienced group of native plant gardeners
– Loonies/toonies for treats and tea at the refreshment break
– Box to carry home lots of native plants & seeds available by raffle $1 for 1 ticket or $2 for 3 tickets
– Travel mug or coffee mug for refreshments
– Potted and labelled native plants or items of interest for the raffle
– Some cookies or other shareable treats for 3 free draw tickets!
7:00-7:30 Meeting, Question Jar and Announcements
7:30-7:45 Refreshment Break + Chatting
7:45-8:45 Presentation by Speaker (includes questions)
8:45-9:00 Plant Raffle
Note: If you would like to attend the full meeting please arrive for 7:00, if you would like to attend the presentation only please arrive during the refreshment between 7:30 and 7:45.